Tuesday 27 November 2012

Keep Calm when Remembering Rhodes



#rhodesmemories was recently trending on twitter much to the dismay of other univerisities alumni who replied on twitter asking where all their memories were?! As I read through the hundreds of tweets, I had mixed emotions remembering the the days that Wordsworth would decribe by his famous phrase "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times."


Many of us took years to part with our overalls

I sometimes get asked by the students I meet if I could rewind the clock and go back, would I or is the working world better? Its a tough one for me to answer. So many of my greatest friendships grew during these crazy 4 years - through thick and thin we supported each other through break ups, let downs, tragedies, growing up and finding ourselves. Without some of the tougher times, prehaps these bonds would have been less durable, and so if that's what I can take from them, I do it gladly.


Boatraces...enough said
Some of the funnier tweets recalled how every year, we as Rhodents celebrate like we've won trivar (invarsity games against NMMU previously know as Trivar because of the now nonexistant participation of UFH) although we never do.  Other stories told of Smuts House, a guys res, and their firedrills where often there were more females than males present! Many retweeted that prospective parents, after reading all the trending tweets, were intercepting their childs RU acceptance letters and burning them...I'm not sure that I blame them.

At the end of the day, be it the best of times or the worst of times, they were times that defined me - definate us as friends. I look back now and write it all off to growing up, learning about life, making memories that will never be forgotten and having (now) hillarious stories to tell of how it all went wrong along the way. Here's to keeping calm when remembering Rhodes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...