Monday 5 November 2012

Keep calm and be yourself

A few days ago at a work function, I heard the life story of a near-stranger. The way in which he was able to speak about some of the darkest hours in his life, with such honesty, humility and guts made me closely rethink my willingness to openly share my own testimony with others.

Not many feel comfortable speaking of their life's journey with those closest to them, let alone people they barely know. What stops us from being authentic, honest and real in the way in which we portray ourselves? Fear of criticism or being rejected? We so often crave the acceptance of others, but at what cost?

Listening to our lunch guest speak of his life and death experiences (in a totally non-glamourised way) and his resulting salvation I felt convinced to share my own experiences more freely in future. Those listening expressed their gratitude at his honestly and walked away, I believe, feeling like they had known him for years. Or at least I did.

I often find myself harshly criticizing "superficial" (mostly Cape Townians *wink wink*) characters, but have I ever stopped to think of how those first meeting me perceive my perhaps aloof exterior? Proud, off-ish or superior might come to their minds, when infact shy might be a more accurate descriptor.

My goal going forward: embrace the opportunities presented to be real, to be honest, to be vulnerable, to be accepting, to be kind....and most of all to keep calm and be yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...