Thursday 17 January 2013

Keep Calm and Travel On



Where I've been...
I recently saw on a friends Facebook status the she was leaving her home province for the first time ever (in her mid-twenties) and I was amazed. I was lucky enough to travel abroad for the first time (by myself!) when I was 12 years old. My brave parents put me on the plane in Johannesburg (my first time there) and off I went to England for a 2 month stint on a boarding school exchange programme. While I'd love to say that I adored every second of it, the intense home sickness I experienced would make that a terrible lie. I did however relish the opportunities I had to travel around the country with teachers or school friends parents. It was then that the travel bug bit.

Where I'd love to go...

Since then there have been a few more trips - always to short and always to too few places! Every year I crave a new adventure outside of our boarders, but obviously this is not always possible. And so I thought I'd put together a Travel Bucket List so that when the stars do align (those stars being: Annual Leave, Enough Money and No Other Responsibilities) I'll be ready to hop on the plane!

My Travel Bucket List:
> Vietman - has been at the top of the list since I was a child - I'm not entirely sure why!
> Cambodia - joined the list after my special friend Margs planted the seed a few years back
> India - prehaps "Monsoon Wedding" romantisied the place for me slightly but never the less...
> Anywhere in Africa...but particularly Ghana, Kenya, Botswana - as soon as I stepped out of the plane and set foot on Tansaneenen soil (albeit in Zanzibar!) I felt as if I'd never truely been to Africa (cue whiney American accent) despite having lived on the continent all my life. Ghana in particular holds a particular tug on my heart
> South America - Aside from Asia I'm not sure that there are many places in the world as different to what I know as you'll find here
> Spain, Croatia, Greece - Having pretty much travelled Europe flat on three occasions the only real regrets I have are not being able to see these three countries

And Japan might just make it's way onto the list too given that it's my favourite persons dream destination!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...