Wednesday 21 November 2012

Keep Calm and Pass the Exam


A few days ago I was on the UNISA website, searching for a course to challenge, motivate and stimulate my rusty old brain. I had decided that studying something would be the answer to the rut that I've found myself in career-wise, a stepping stone towards the long-term goal I've set myself of working in a relatively unrelated field and doing something as far away from the corporate world as possible.

And then this morning I went to wish the candidates writing their final CA exam luck and saw their drawn faces, nervous smiles and tense expressions and all of a sudden, the idea of studying further seemed FAR less appealing! After a minimum of 7 years of studying, the fate of these candidates will be decided today - will they have a CA(SA) designation behind their names in a years time or not?

I remember my final exam in the Rhodes sports centre like it was yesterday. The nervousness of knowing that if it didn't go well your plans for the future would be delayed by a year and while returning for a 5th year as a Rhodent would not have been the worst thing to happen, the idea of spending any more time in the sleepy town (with no Woolies Food store or decent clothing shops) was at that stage less than ideal!

The jury is out for now on my further studies, but I'm thinking of all those who are now 45 minutes into their papers in that cold UCT sports centre and wishing them the best of luck. While there is always next year, no one wants the pain of repeating all the hours of study put into preparing for this big exam - so here's hoping that the guys can keep calm today and pass the exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...