Wednesday 15 May 2013

Who do You say I am?



Last night I attended Heartfelt with a friend, an evening for ladies at my church, Common Ground and the topic couldn't have come at a better time for me. The theme of the evening was "Who do You say I am?" and the four ladies who shared their amazing stories explored who it is that we listen to when it comes to how we form opinions of ourselves.


One of the ladies did the most hillarious skit portraying all of the comments from those around us descrining us that we save and replay over and over on the "casette tape" in our minds. Things like: she snacks alot, she's a drama queen, she is not at all sporty, she looks like a rugby prop, she is highly emotional... How do we go about defining who WE are (and who HE says we are) when playing these recordings over and over in our minds.


They played the "Dove - Real Beauty" clip, which I'd successfully avoided watching after hundreds of my facebook friends had shared it! It shows just how we as women aren't able to give a clear description of how we look and how tainted our opinions of ourselves are by the views of others.

It was a time to reflect and look back over the past few months and to try to erase some of the horrible things which have been said, have been heard, have been written. To take back control of the "tape in my head." To take back control of the image that I have of me and to not give a damn of any image that overs may have as a result of hearsay. To take back control of the image I portray and to ensure that it's reflective of who HE says I am.

There are limited spaces left for the last Heartfelt session taking place on Saturday - Cape Town ladies, click here if you are keen to attend this amazing event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...