Monday 27 May 2013

Think Happy Thoughts



It's a slippery slide, our mind. Get into a sticky situation in one area of your life, unable to see the positive in the situation and all of a sudden the whole world sucks! I realised a little while ago that I was letting small things that weren't ideal, granted, dictate my outlook on many other things and ultimately this was distroying my "thought life." As my brother has told me many times, I will FIND something to stress about. I've found myself becoming increasingly negative in my mind and this has now flowed over into my words. I definitely don't want to be that person who never has anything nice to say!

And so, in thinking about how to rectify this solution, I've come up with the following "how to think happy thoughts" guide:

 - WWGD (What Would Gran Do) - My gran is without a doubt the most insanely positive person that I know, and probably ever will know. She's almost positive to a fault. When ever that nagging negative pops up I'm going to thing WWGD!
- Be Grateful - Early on in my blog life, I wrote about all the things that I'm grateful for in my life. Prehaps rereading and recapping on this would be a good idea every once in a while ;-)
- Put it all in context - every day I drive past a beggar, a homeless person, someone with way bigger and more pressing issues on their mind. Take a chill pill. Have a glass of wine. Build a bridge. Get over it!
- Stop the repetition - if you've thought about it once, move on! Stop the endlessly repetative loop that one senario or thought get's airtime for in your mind
- Have a "looking forward to" list - ever since my homesick days at boarding school I've always made little lists in my mind of things to look forward to in that day or that week. It can be the smallest thing ever (like going home to watch your favourite show) but it really helps to have something, ANYTHING, to look forward to when you're down.

So here's to keeping calm and thinking happy thoughts from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...