Monday 21 January 2013

Keep Calm and Watch a Movie


Pretty much the only thing I love about winter is that I get to watch copious amounts of movies without feeling guilty that I'm missing out on precious moments in the sun! But in the past 10 days I've managed to justify sneaking in a couple of new releases as well as a hit that I missed last year. There really is nothing better than losing yourself in someone elses life for a little while...

In what was undoubtably my movie of the year (lets make it the movie of the 2012/13 year as making it the movie of the past few weeks hardly does it justice!) Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence bring to life two amazing characters that you can't help but fall in love with. Their quirky charm, heartbreaking stories and the level of hillarious self deprication (which can only be a result of acute self awareness) that they dish out will have you in tears.
Set in a different era, genre and decade, Django Unchained is worlds apart from Silver Linings Playbook, but equally intriguing. In true Quintin Tarentino style, he brings to life a story of overcoming the odds, good truimphing evil...with heavy helping of grit and gore. While I was tempted to cover my eyes many a time - I couldn't bring myself to miss a moment of this amazing movie.

I won't lie - I had to "IMDB" Christoph Waltz before realising what I'd seen him in before but I certainly won't be forgetting him again as he was brilliantly funny and charming in the this role. Leo never dissapoints, Jamie has truely grown into an amazing story teller, Kerry was beautiful and Samuel...well he's Samuel - enough said. And then there was the soundtrack - diverse to the point of being comical but catchy as all hell (I couldn't stop myself from tapping and humming along.) A movie not for the faint hearted (as all those leaving the cinema within the first 30 minutes found out) but definately a must see.

There are very few things that will keep me awake until 12am on a Friday night after a heavy week at work (let alone the first full week back after the holidays!) but no amount of heavy-eyelid-syndrome was going to get me to miss a minute of the intrugue of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I can't believe that I missed not only the US film version of this book, but also the original (as I love me some subtitles!) Yes there were scenes which made me gag and images that will probably still haunt me for a while, but the intricacy and complexity of the storyline was enough to leave me in anticipation for the second installment.

So those were three of my faves from the past little while. Still high on the list of the priorities for a rainy (or not so sunny day) are Les Miserables, Argo, Lincoln, Flight, Anna Karenina and Zero Dark Thirty. So many movies, so little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...