Tuesday 22 January 2013

At what point does Shabby Chic just become Shabby?


I have a confession to make. Before I moved to Cape Town (about two and a half years ago now) I dreamed of living here (for about a year or so prior) and during this time, I pretty much stalked EVERYTHING mother-cityish. I followed even the most random of CT restuarants on Twitter, googled the best places to eat, the best routes to run or mountain bike. Everything to do with the mountain was read, digested and put away in the memory bank. So much so that even today I remember the oddest of establishments and can't remember where I heard of them from.

One such place is Olympia Cafe in Kalk Bay. For the longest time I've wanted to eat here but have always been greeted with the longest of queues at the door. This past weekend we were walking past and managed to get a table. I'm not sure of what exactly I had expected and while it didn't entire disappoint, it definately didn't blow me away. Our server was such a lovely person, the food was good and the coffee great, but I found myself wondering at what point does shabby chic just become shabby? And I didn't even venture through the kitchen to get to the bathrooms - apparently that is a treat!

I'm all for a litttle boho in my life (Bombay Bicycle Club is one of my faves) but at when does my need for cleanliness trump my love of funky junk?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...