Friday 7 March 2014

Fashion Fundie or Fashion Faux Par?!

To say I'm obsessed with fashion might be an overstatement but definitely not a lie. I've always had an appreciations for style, clothes, self-expression and artistry - I've just never had the confidence (or, to be honest, the budget) to express myself fully through what I wear.

I see people I went to school with become successful fashion bloggers and stylists and I'll sign up to see their posts, watch every episode of any fashion intern reality show I can find, never never miss a Fashion Police (and generally correctly predict the best and worst dressed) and will never miss an E! Live from the Red Carpet slot and yet I don't think I'm someone who dresses well!

Practicality and durability have long been the name of the game in my family when it comes to clothes. Never extravegant, too loud or out of the ordinary. Growing up in a private boarding school, this was probably the largest bone of contention between my mother and I. I appreciated the home sewn clothes...really I did, but there came a time where fabric similar to that of a table cloth was not appropriate attire for an impressionable teen!

Given the budget, I'd like to believe that my dream wardrobe would have a point of view. A diverse and perhaps eclectic point of view - but a voice of sorts none the less.
 
In a recent blog post, Lauren Conrad defined her style in three words: classic, feminine, Californian Girl.   She asked her readers to do the same for their particular style and here is where my brain started searching for 3 definitive words to describe something I struggle to envision myself. Realistically it would be: practical, simple, corporate that would sum up my current wardrobe vibe, but give me unlimited budget and a trip or two overseas, I'd like to believe this would transform to: edgy, feminine, classic. 

It's a work in progress I suppose and something I've tasked my self with improving this year. A New Years resolution of sorts. To spend money...wisely, on timeless, classic, and yet out of the ordinary pieces with character and personality and voice, not forgetting that quality and taste are the key to it all.

That being said...I'm off to shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...