Monday 10 December 2012

Keep Calm and Unfriend

Who are you again?!

One of my new years resolutions in 2012 was to live life in real time, in the moment and savouring the memory in my mind rather than living life on / through / obsessing over Facebook. I had grown tired of hearing what almost random strangers were having for breakfast, how they were feeling after their breakup, or my personal favourites, how their child was growing day by day through pictures. As a result, this year has been an awesome one which those who I do know and love, have shared with me, in the flesh. The relative privacy has been refreshing and the conversations I've had with my friends when we see each other have been so much richer because we actually have news to share in person!

The other day I realised that while the choice to not share every gorry detail of my life on the 'book has been great, I still was being exposed to all the details of so many people who I either don't recall at all, or met once...on a random party night...12 years ago... Was it really neccessary for me to have 810 facebook friends?! Hell no! And so the great Facebook "unfriend" commenced - 120 friends less later (with many more still to come) and I feel strangely lighter and perhaps even a little more willing to share online again.

Possibly the goal for 2013 should be, rather than not posting, redefine what it means to be a friend and be even more brutal with the great de-friend! Here's to keeping calm and unfriending :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...